Road safety in our district, Tairawhiti. For information on traffic calming measure see request for speed humps
Nga Ara Pai - 10 week driving course
Nga Ara Pai Community Driver Mentor Programme is to progress young drivers (aged 16 to 24 yrs) through the graduated licence system from Learner Licence to Restricted Licence, who through many reasons may not have the resources to complete this otherwise. Student's enrolment criteria:
• participants aged from 16 to 24 years, but not limited to.
• must have held Learner License for a minimum of 4 months
• must have experience driving.
• must be able to commit to 2 - 3 drives with a mentor per week
• the programme targets those who are on low incomes, no support, no access to reliable vehicle and priority is given to those with young families.
• a statement of written letter expressing why you or your child should be selected to be part of the Nga Ara Programme
• must be willing to sit licence in an automatic vehicle.
Nga Ara Pai is a 10 week course and if selected you'll receive:
• Free road code, free L plates, free driving assessment with a professional qualified driving instructor and free driving practice support (2-3 drives per week) alongside a volunteer mentor, an automatic vehicle's provided during the lesson for these mentoring sessions at no cost to the student.
The course requires up to 10 weeks of commitment from the student. At the end of the 10 weeks (or as the driving instructor sees fit), Learner drivers will sit their Restricted Licence with a testing officer.
Cost of programme is $137 to be paid on registration, per learner and is non-refundable.
Download the application form [PDF, 231 KB] or pick one up from McInnes Driver Training, 385 Palmerston Road, ph 0800 624 663 or contact Dianne Akurangi here at Council.
Nga Ara Pai - be a community driver mentor
We coordinate the Nga Ara Pai driver mentor programme. It's a youth driver education programme that targets low income whanau with young families and young drivers 16-24yrs.
The cost per trainee is $137 which contributes to the restricted licence test only. Participants receive a road code, up to 3 professional driving lessons worth $80 each, up to 3 mentored drives per week, access to a vehicle, petrol and advice from the professionals.
The mentors volunteer up to 2 hours of their time each week and have been essential to the success of students who've passed their restricted licence.
More driver mentors are needed. If you’re over 25 years old, hold a full NZ drivers licence and are interested in becoming a mentor driver or would like more information contact us.