Roading Makarori

Working on the road

Corridor Access Request

Show Sidebar

Working on the road

Approval is required to carry out any work within a road reserve. Road reserve or 'road corridor' includes the road carriageway, footpath, berm and grassed area. It's the area from usually the front fence of a property boundary across the road to the opposite property front boundary.  

Council owns the road corridor - you need approval to carry out any work within road reserve. 

For information about fences that bound private property and road reserve

Approval to work in the road corridor - Corridor Access Request (CAR)

A CAR is required for: 
• any activity that will alter, or cause to be altered, the surface of any part of the road corridor, including excavating, drilling and resurfacing 
• the placement of any pipe, duct, pole, cabinet or other structure below, on or above the road corridor.  
• a new vehicle crossing, driveway works 
• building construction (commercial) 
• scaffolding works associated with renovations or building maintenance
• shop front fit outs/repairs/replacements
• crane operators
• building cleaning/painting up to 4 hours
• events

First check the location of underground pipes and cables before you dig - see utility services page

How to submit a CAR application

The preferred method is to apply online - the processing is quicker.

Submit your request online. Register and follow the instructions on the site. 
Visit link)  or link)(external link)

Note: this option will be phased out by September.
Or fill in the Corridor Access Request application form. You must provide a site plan showing the location and construction details. This method takes longer to process. 

Corridor Access Request (163kb)

The declaration on the form refers to requirements of the utilities code.  
Visit NZ Utilities Advisory Group website for the code(external link) 

The cost of a CAR application 

See fees and charges for processing costs.

What happens to your application

Once you submit your application, allow 20 working days for processing.  You cannot start the work until you have approval of your application. 
Any obstructions to the work such as trees, stormwater drains or power poles, in liaison with the asset owners - are to be removed or relocated at the property owner's expense.

Install a cattle stop or swing gate on a public road 

Written permission is required to erect a swing gate or a cattle stop across any public road. Fill in the application form and return it to us.

Application Form - Gate or cattle stop across a road [PDF, 170 KB]
Note: save the form to your computer first, then fill it in and email it to us

Cattle Stop Policy [PDF, 1.9 MB] includes financial responsibility.

Fees for a Corridor Access Request (CAR) 

CAR Type Charge
Standard CAR - based on 1.3hrs admin. Will also incur an inspection charge - fee below*  $318
Project CAR - based on 2 hrs admin. Will incur an inspection charge - fee below* $318
Non-standard CAR - based on 3hrs administration. Will incur inspection charge - fee below* $476
Blanket CAR - based on 1hr admin. Will incur inspection charges - fee below* $159
* Close inspection per site
Note for commercial utility providers**
Non-compliance $523
Minor CAR At our discretion

** Commercial utility providers can avoid this charge if they provide photographic evidence of the completed work site. This will reduce the inspection workload. These sites are assessed as low risk as these are professional tradespeople operating to the ‘National Code of Practice for Utility Operators’. There will be clear guidelines on requirements for this self-service aspect.

CAR type definitions

Standard CAR CAR that requires no expert input from the network or contract managers. Mostly excavation CARs.
Project CAR  Professional project work that's either long and/or has standard work site practices that can be bundled under one CAR. Eg connecting ultra-fast broadband to houses or undertaking emergency work like repairing burst water pipes.
Non-standard CAR  CAR that requires expert input from the network or contract managers. It may have implications for other roading activities. It may need interdepartmental consideration as well.
Non-compliance  A charge for those working on the network that either do not have a CAR or are in breach of their CAR conditions.
Inspection per site Fee for having network professionals investigate the worksite as required at completion, at the end of the defect liability period or other as required.

The schedule of Fees and Charges [PDF, 507 KB]