Pool complex rebuild
The Olympic Pool complex is being redeveloped with a complex of new pools and we aim to have them all open for the summer of 2022.
In July 2020, the government announced that it would fund up to $40m for the redevelopment through the Crown Infrastructure Partners (CIP) Covid-19 response.
The redevelopment will be carried out in stages. The construction phases are designed to enable the facility to remain open and the public has access to a pool throughout the construction.
September - December 2020 - Early works phase
• New permanent outdoor toilet/change room block
• Temporary enclosure to existing outdoor 33m pool and pool water heating (TBC)
• Temporary portacom offices and reception
• New accessible pathway for existing car park
Phase 1: February 2021 - July 2022 - Indoor facilities
This stage will focus on redeveloping the indoor facilities.
Demolishing the 50m pool area and construction of new pools, surrounds and indoor facilities.
We consulted widely with the community during the 2018-2028 Long Term Plan consultations on the option finally settled on.
• 50m x 20m multi-use pool
• Leisure and toddlers pool
• Learn to swim/hydrotherapy pool
• Indoor change rooms
• Administration and office facilities
• Plant and services areas
• External carpark and associated landscaping
Phase 2: August 2022 - February 2023 - Outdoor construction
• New wet deck play area
• New multi-use leisure pool
• New hydroslide
• Landscaped outdoor area to improve accessibility and aesthetics, and to enhance the connection to Centennial Marine Drive.
• Existing dive pool retained
• Upgrade existing external plant and new filtration and heating
Pool redevelopment project documents
The business case, concept designs and programme(external link)
Councillors agreed to the redevelopment project at a meeting on 5 August 2020.
Aim to open new indoor pool mid-winter 2022
The redevelopment retains all the elements of the initial concept adopted through the 2018–2028 Long Term Plan, as well as additional elements developed through later peer review and refinement
The work will be carried out so the new indoor pools can open around mid-winter 2022.
We expect the numbers of swimmers will remain high, and anticipate a further increase in numbers when the outdoor phase is finished in summer 2022.
With a new pool complex it will lead to better recreational, fitness and sporting opportunities. This in turn will improve social connectivity and we hope, better health throughout our community.