Web Banner Waikanae

Land Information Memorandum (LIM)

Show Sidebar

Land Information Memorandum (LIM)

Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a report prepared by Council which provides a summary of property information. 

How to apply for a LIM

Fill in the LIM application form.  You need to provide a current historical certificate of title (no older than 1 month) or pay the extra fee for us to obtain it. 

Pay the fee when you submit your application. 
If you pay by electronic transfer, our bank account is Westpac 03 0638 0502288 00 - include your surname and "LIM" in the reference fields.  

LIM Application Form [PDF, 179 KB] - writable, save the form to your computer first before filling it in. 

LIM Application Form [PDF, 191 KB] - download, write in the fields, scan and email to us

Email the form to us at LIMs@gdc.govt.nz tell us the amount paid and attach a copy of your electronic payment.

Costs based on the property category


Rural (over 1 hectare)
Commercial or Industrial
Processing Timeframe
$353 with title provided $568* deposit - with title provided 10 working days
$378 without title $593* deposit - without title 10 working days

* indicate these items are a minimum charge and may incur additional actual and reasonable costs.  
A copy of the current certificate of title must be provided with the application.  If a title is not attached, we charge $25 for each additional title.

Property categories

Forestry blocks and large LIM requests - at cost.
Commercial / Industrial - any commercial or industrial property
Rural - all rural properties over 1 hectare in land area
Residential - includes a property under 1 hectare, or within the urban boundaries that are not commercial or industrial.

If you are unsure of the category please contact us

How long does it take to process a LIM?

10 working days. If the application is received after 9am, the first processing day is counted from the next working day.

Applications will not be processed between 20 December and 10 January.

Why get a LIM

If you're considering buying a property, we recommend you obtain a LIM before purchase.  
A LIM is a comprehensive search of Council's clerical records only.  No site visit is made.
If you have any concerns about the property, we recommend you seek the advice of a qualified independent professional.

Information provided in a LIM

This is a guide to the information supplied under Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.  A LIM provides some or all of the following items: 
Valuation details - land, improvement and capital value. 
Annual rates, includes outstanding balance and arrears if any.
Water meter information including current outstanding balance and arrears if any.
Planning zoning, land use, designations, natural and cultural heritage information. 
Building, plumbing and drainage - a list of permits/consents issued. 
Resource consents (approved or declined) within the past 5 years, or earlier if appropriate.
Consents on adjoining properties are provided if council deems information is in the purchaser's greater interest. 
Any known restrictions on the site which may restrict land use, future additions, subdivisions.

For a property near hills and streams or in rural areas - water permits/consents and/or outstanding requisitions. Earthworks and land disturbance requirements and existing consents.

Details of issued building and plumbing / drainage permits and consents; code of compliance certificate status; compliance schedule, if applicable; warrant of fitness, if applicable, check of swimming pool register, underground services.

For a commercial property - details of dangerous goods, contaminated sites, liquor and health licences. Any natural hazards/special features, including erosion, avulsion (removal of land by water action], falling debris, subsidence, slippage, alluvium [the deposition of silt from flooding], inundation [flooding], risk of amplification of ground shaking and susceptibility to soil liquefaction during an earthquake (from the available IGNS earthquake hazard mapping).

Any history of flooding, noxious plants and other information that may affect the property.

The back of the application form provides a more in depth description of items.

What if there is no permit for work done on the property? 

We cannot retrospectively issue a building consent for work that has already been completed. We may only issue a Certificate of Acceptance. See building forms

The owner becomes liable for any unpermitted work. Talk to your solicitor.

Exceptions include: 

Housing Corporation and Department of Maori Affairs houses built prior to 1991 - both organisations were not required to apply for a building consent.

Cook County Council records pre 1948 were destroyed in a fire.