Page Banner City View

Freshwater Plan - Factsheets

To help explain rule changes and what you need to do to comply.

Read these factsheets if you take water for irrigation, grow crops, farm livestock, develop land, do any work in a waterway or do any trade or industrial development.


Rules for installing culverts.

Fertiliser application

Guide for good fertiliser management

Farm dam

Rules for building a farm dam

Gravel takes from rivers

New rules for taking gravel from rivers to help protect the resource, the water quality and native fish and birds.

Water permit for irrigation

You need a water permit if you want to irrigate on an area larger than 1 hectare.

Water permits on Poverty Bay Flats

Rules for water permits on the Poverty Bay Flats and Waipaoa Catchment.

Water takes

Requirements for non-consented water takes.

Winter intensive grazing

Rule for intensively grazed or break feeding animals on crops or pasture

Vegetable and maize cropping

Rules for farms with more than 1 hectare of vegetable or maize crops.

Last updated: