Page Banner City View

Vegetable and maize cropping

Freshwater Plan Factsheet

Show Sidebar

Vegetable and maize cropping

Gisborne District Council's Tairawhiti Resource Management Plan (TRMP) includes rules for farms with more than 1 hectare of vegetable or maize crops.

You can continue to crop without a resource consent, but before 1 May 2021 you need to make and submit to us, a Farm Environment Plan.

From 1 May 2021 you won’t be able to cultivate or grow crops within 1m of the edge of any waterway.

If you haven’t cropped on the land before, you’ll need a Farm Environment Plan before you start.

For information on Farm Environment Plans refer to TRMP Appendix H20

Extra regulations for managing nutrients and agrichemicals

You need to apply fertilisers as per the Fertiliser Association's Code of Practice for Nutrient Management(external link).

This means fertiliser storage and loading sites should be away from flood susceptible areas and at least 50m from any waterway or wetland. 

Nitrogen applications more than 200kg N/ha/year should be in split dressings of 50kg/year. 

Soluble phosphate applications more than 100kg P/ha/year should be in split dressings. 

Animal and vegetable manures and wastes also need to meet nutrient management standards.

Agrichemicals must be applied in accordance with  NZS8409: 2004 The Code of Practice for the Management of Agrichemicals

Anyone using ground and aerial based agrichemicals must be GrowSafe certified and the meet specified training requirements.
Visit Growsafe's website(external link)

Any farmers discharging greenhouse nutrient solution will need to meet the code and applications of nitrogen are limited depending on soil type.

Code of Practice for Management of Greenhouse Nutrient Discharges (2007)(external link)

Download the fact sheet - Vegetable and Maize Cropping [PDF, 569 KB]