Food banner

Food premises - new business

Show Sidebar

Food premises - new business

If you intend to start any type of food business that includes the manufacture, preparation, packing, storage or food for sale, you will need to make sure your premises complies under the Health Act 1956 and Food Hygiene Regulations 1974.  You may also need to comply with other legislative requirements.

Read the guide to Starting a food premises
Food premises application form

Before you open a new food business

You will need:

  • a current Certificate of Registration, required under the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974
  • to obtain food safety training to an appropriate level that complies with the Food Hygiene Bylaw 2008.

If you are constructing a new building or converting or changing the use of an existing building, you may need both resource and building consents before you start any work on the site.

We recommend that you discuss your proposal with council staff early to establish the various legal requirements you will have to comply with. Bring your site plans, building plans and business details with you when you do this.

Selling or supplying alcohol

If you intend to sell or supply alcohol as part of your business, you will require a licence under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. The type of licence will depend on the type of business you intend to operate.

For more information on the alcohol licence page

Buying an existing food business

If you are buying an existing food business, a LIM (Land Information Memorandum) will give you with all the information council holds on the property.
More information on the LIM page.

If you are taking over an existing food business that has a current Certificate of Registration, the new owner must:

  • complete an application form for the Transfer of Registration of Premises with 14 days of change of ownership. A fee is payable.
  • have food safety training to an appropriate level that compiles with the Food Hygiene Bylaw 2008.

If the business is not registered or the Certificate of Registration has lapsed, you must apply for a new registration certificate for the premises.

We recommend you visit council before the take-over date to find out the whether:

  • The business has a current Certificate of Registration.
  • There are any outstanding works.  The current owners must provide their written permission stating they do not object to you viewing previous inspection information.
  • There are no outstanding resource or building consents issues.
  • The alcohol licence issued to the premises is current.  Alcohol licences are not transferable. If you intend to carry on with the sale of alcohol, you will need to apply for a Temporary Authority a minimum of 15 working days before the take-over date.  For an application form go to the alcohol licence page


Operators of all newly established premises are charged a non-refundable application fee. The annual food premises fee is based on the risk category of the food handled or prepared.  For the fees  Refer to our Fees and Charges Manual

Council operates a discount scheme at the renewal of registration stage, provided fees are paid by 22 September in any year.  

Other likely costs include alcohol licence, resource consent and building consent fees.

A-Grade food premises

All operators of food premises are encouraged to take responsibility for the food they sell. The A-grading system requires that premise operators have a food safety plan and that the premises are maintained and managed to a high level.  Operators of those premises awarded an A-Grade receive a discount on their annual fees.

Advertising signs

Depending on the size, type, location and method of fixture, advertising signs must comply with Building, District Plan and/or Bylaw requirements.   

Application forms

Single site food business - Registration of Food Business - One Site [PDF, 286 KB]
Information, checklist and application form 
The form is a writable PDF. Save the form to your computer first before you fill it in and email it to us.

Multiple food businesses - Registration of Food Business - Multi Sites  [PDF, 326 KB]
Information, checklist and application form 
The form is a writable PDF. Save the form to your computer first before you fill it in and email it to us.

Every application also needs to complete a Scope of Operations form on the Ministry for Primary Industries website - Scope of Operations form(external link)


Starting a food premises

Other links

LIM information
Building consent - signs
Alcohol Licensing
Fees & Charges
Food Hygiene Bylaw

Last updated: