Civil defence planning at home
Have an emergency household plan
- Enough food in your home to last 3 days.
- To know where to get water, if your normal supply is unavailable. Store some water if a warning is issued, fill containers immediately after a large earthquake.
- Alternative lighting. A torch with spare batteries, gas lantern or light sticks. Tip - store some batteries sealed in a bag in the fridge. Don't use candles - they're not safe.
- A battery operated radio and spare batteries. Don't forget your car radio as a last resort.
- A first aid kit and manual. Make sure you have your essential medication.
- Alternative heating, blankets, survival blankets or warm waterproof clothing.
- Alternative cooking methods, barbecue or gas cooker.
- Important family documents stored where you can get them easily during an emergency.
- A first aid kit and fire extinguisher in your car.